Eureka County Court House

Eureka County Public Guardian


10 South Main Street
P.O. Box 506
Eureka, NV 89316
PHONE: (775) 237-5664
FAX: (775) 237-6015

Download the Eureka Guardianship Referral Form   Adobe PDF format

Download the Physician's Report of Incapacitation   Adobe PDF format

The Eureka County Public Guardian provides guardianship services to wards of Eureka County. The Public Guardian is the guardian of last resort. Prior to assuming guardianship, a thorough investigation is conducted in order to determine the competence of an individual as well as to find if any family members or friends may be willing and able to provide the necessary care. A resident of Eureka County, Nevada who is 60 years of age or older is eligible to have the public guardian appointed as his/her individual guardian if he/she:
  • Has no family
  • Lacks sufficient assets to provide for a private guardian
  • Family members are ill, elderly, or other circumstances prevent their effective performance to be guardian
  • Friends or family have exploited or neglected the person and would not be suitable to serve
  • Family members live in other areas or states
  • Is unable by reason of mental illness, mental deficiency, advanced age, disease, weakness of mind, or any other cause without assistance to properly manage and take care of him or herself

  • What to do when you feel a guardianship is needed?  
  • Contact family members or friends, if appropriate. They have priority to serve as guardian.
  • Contact Eureka Public Guardian to receive a referral form.

  •     Copies of recent medical records indicating what condition(s) is causing a proposed ward to be incompetent or     incapacitated are required by law in order for guardianship to proceed.

    Guardianship is NOT an immediate emergency intervention. If you have any suspicions of elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation, please report this to one of the following agencies:

    Eureka County Sheriff's Office    (775) 237-5252
    Elder Protective Services    (775) 738-1966
    Nevada Division for Aging Services    (775) 738-1966

    Back to Eureka County Home Page